Why You Should Go Beyond Social Media to Boost Your Business
First of all, it's smart for businesses to have a social media presence. Social platforms can offer credibility and give you a place to meet and interact with customers - and hopefully turn them into raving fans. It shouldn't be the only digital footprint for your business, though. Businesses that only have a social media page are missing out on potential customers and sales.
Why? The main reason is because social platforms put restrictions on their users, which limits the ability for businesses to thrive. If you're serious about growth, your primary online tool should be a well-designed website. It allows you to have control of five critical areas:
- Your content: With a website, you get to say what you want, how you want. You can provide a customized user experience with unique landing pages, and you can let people opt-in for things like promotions or newsletters. Social media, however, puts you at the mercy of their constantly changing algorithms and rules. They can force you "pay to play" just to get your message out. You might as well invest those dollars in a website where you get to call the shots.
- Customer relationships: When a relationship lives on a social platform, the connection might be between your brand and the customer, but it's owned by the platform. They get to decide what you can say and who gets to see it. As a private system, they can even block content as they see fit. For example, one of our clients sells hunting lifestyle apparel. When Facebook decided it was against certain hunting practices, they blocked their posts. Social platforms don't care if your business succeeds or not, so it's best to cultivate connections with your customers on your own domain.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO): One of the best ways for a new customer to find your business is through an online search. Landing on that first page of search results is like marketing gold. It's hard to get there without building up your SEO game, though. When engines like Google are searching for reputable sources, they don't consider social media as high-quality content. What they really like are websites rich with key words and helpful content. They also look for location-based content. So if social media is your only web presence, search engines may not even know you exist or where you are.
- A bigger audience: It might seem like everyone is on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or Snapchat these days, but the truth is, they aren't. Without a website, you could be missing out on opportunities to connect with customers who are searching for your exact product or service. Not cool.
- Better data: Social channels hold the keys when it comes to unlocking the data needed to understand how customers interact with your brand. When users visit your website, though, you own the data. It's much easier to get a clear picture of their interests, shopping patterns and buying behaviors through your tracking and analytics.
As you can see, a professional website gives you more control and offers many benefits that social channels just can't provide. If you need a better online presence or think you're ready for a fresh site, give us a call. We'd love to help boost your business.